2.07.2005

The Million Dollar Aviator

Weekend before last found Mrs. P and me at the local megaplex to see Million Dollar Baby. I can see why this film was nominated for a Best Picture - great cast, Eastwood directing, surprise ending they've been able to keep fairly secret. But I must admit, the whole time I sat there (up until the aforementioned twist) I felt like I was watching a well done remake of the Karate Kid. Old grizzled teacher that doesn't want to teach the young headstrong got-nuthin-to-lose student but does anyway and makes it to the top finding respect and friendship along the way. The twist at least made the story more interesting. And hey, Karate Kid was a good movie. Wax off, Daniel-san!

I don't want to take away anything from the performances. Heh, like my little blog is going to affect Clint's career. Hilary Swank's going to win a second Oscar (beating out poor Mrs. B again). Morgan Freeman's gotta be considered the favorite in his category. Clint did a great job, but really - it wasn't much of a stretch for him to play an old grizzled tough guy. I'm still sore that his nom obviously pushed Giamatti out of the running. All in all, good movie.

Last weekend found us back at the theater to see the Aviator. The wife's been chomping at the bit to see Cate Blanchett's Hepburn and golly, she delivered. For an actress who doesn't look much like Hepburn at all, you easily forgot you were seeing someone play Hepburn. It's pretty obvious that she'll pick up her golden boy this year. Leo really did a great job, especially after the big wreck. The further Hughes slips into madness, the fuller Leo's performance. Mrs. P and I agreed that, like much of Scorcese's work, the movie dragged on a bit (though I'm not sure where and what he could have cut). The story's engrossing, perhaps there was just too much for one sitting - 170 minutes! I really liked Scorcese's use of light and dark in this film. The opening scene's use of a spotlight on Hughes which then radiates out to the rest of the room gets used again the first time he enters the Coconut Grove. The flashbulbs exploding on the red carpet is echoed in the scenes in the screening room. I'd like to watch it again just to pay more attention to Scorcese's touches. Oh, and by the way, the freaky cool singer in the Coconut Grove is none other than Rufus Wainwright.

So three Best Pics down, two to go. Personally, Sideways is still my favorite movie. However, the Academy forgot to ask me. Therefore, my front-runner is still Million Dollar Baby.

1 comment:

david golbitz said...

Speaking of the Karate Kid, CNN.com had a little article about him. I guess a box set of all the movies came out last week, with commentaries and things of that nature. You believe Ralph Macchio is 43 years old?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/08/ralph.macchio/index.html