2.27.2005

Oscar Picks

Well, between work and vacation I haven't had the time to write up my Oscar picks the way I planned. Now it's Oscar day and no matter what Chris Rock says, I'm straight and I'm watching. So, on to the picks:

Best Supporting Actress: Though Natalie Portman won the Globe, Cate Blanchette's pretty much swept the lot on the others, including the BAFTA and SAG awards. Winner: Cate Blanchette.

Best Supporting Actor:
Clive Owen won the Globe and the BAFTA, but wasn't even nominated for a SAG (which Morgan Freeman won). TH Church has won two dozen film critics awards but hasn't won any of the big ones unless you count the Independent Spirit Award he got yesterday. Jamie Foxx's bows will come later in the night. Alda's an interesting pick, one I'd kind of dismissed until lately. Of all the major awards, this category's the toughest to choose. I think Mr. Freeman will pull this one out - great work + great role + great movie + long and distiguished career without an Oscar. Winner: Morgan Freeman.

Best Original Screenplay: [EDIT] Originally I had picked the Aviator, but thinking on it some more, I'd be surprised if Charlie Kaufman didn't win it. Hey, I can change my mind! Winner: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Best Adapted Screenplay: I'm sorry, but if it doesn't win, there's something rotten in Denmark. Winner: Sideways.

Best Actress: Easy pick. Winner: Hilary Swank.

Best Actor:
Another easy pick. Mrs. P picked this up on DVD Friday and we watched it last night. And she said they'd never give an Oscar to "Wanda." Winner: Jamie Foxx.

Best Director: This is tough. Obviously it boils down to Clint and Marty. From there? Toss up. I'm going with the DGA. Winner: Clint Eastwood.

Best Picture: Ray's a great movie, but the Best Actor award is what it gets. Finding Neverland - thanks for playing. The last three - man, tough tough picks. Entertainment Weekly's got these three in a virtual dead heat, giving Million Dollar Baby a slim lead due to momentum and a later opening date. Premiere magazine gives the edge to The Aviator. In the end, I'll go with my heart. Winner: Sideways.

So, there you have it. Now I gotta go pour over the Best Sound Editing category to get that edge I'll need to beat Mrs. P this year.

1 comment:

david golbitz said...

I have to actually look back at my post to see who I actually picked. Like you said, it's a tough year to call, but for good reasons, y'know? You can make a case for just about every film and performance nominated.

It'll definitely be interesting to see who comes out on top by the end of the night.