8.15.2005

the The? Sweet!

I was just listening to Armageddon Days (Are Here Again) by the The and realized the opening was a riff on the old Sweet song Ballroom Blitz (featured in Wayne's World). Here's the comparison:

Armageddon Days:
Are you ready, Jesus? Uh huh.
Buddha? Yeah!
Muhammed? OK.
Well alright, fellas, let's go!

Ballroom Blitz:
Are you ready, Steve? Aha.
Andy? Yeah!
Mick? OK.
Alright, fellas, let's go!


The drum lick is pretty damn close, too. I've seen on most of the lyrics sites that I found had the first line of Armaggedon Days as "Are you ready for Jesus?" but I don't hear it. Anyway, I like the idea that the narrator is asking the three big guys if they're ready to go rather than asking some other unnamed person if they're ready for Jesus/Muhammed/Buddha.

No comments: