7.01.2005

Books: Royal Flash


Finished Royal Flash, the second in the Flashman series of books. Shakespeare's Sister recommended this series to me, and I'm glad she did. As I've said before, this is not a series for the easily offended. This book covers Flashy's adventures in 1844 and 1848 and revolves around (among others) Otto Bismark. For those of you who slept through World History, 1848 was the Year of Revolution in Europe and Flashman is square in the middle of the shitstorm. Revolutions and revolts broke out throughout the continent. After finishing this book, I'm tempted to read The Age of Revolution by Eric Hobsbawm. I picked this one up back during college but never got around to reading it. Maybe now I shall, but not next. I've read the first few pages of Spectacle of Corruption; good, but a little too similar to what I've been gorging on lately. A friend loaned me the first Drizzt Do'Urden trilogy. It promises to be a light bite, but again I don't think I'm quite in the mood. A co-worker loaned The Immense Journey, of which I've read the first couple of chapters. I'm not sure what I think of it so far, but it's interesting enough to keep going. However, I just went to the bookstore tonight (recipe for disaster!) and picked up another four: The Historian [Elizabeth Kostova], The Traveler [John Twelve Hawks], Night Watch [Terry Prachett] and Baudolino [Umberto Eco]. I've heard good things about The Traveler (including from you, 1031), so I think I'll start there.

1 comment:

david golbitz said...

The Traveler is the coolest book ever!

Okay, perhaps that is a slight exaggeration, but it is still oozing with the awesomeness. I've got about 50 pages to go, maybe, because I wasn't able to read a whole lot over the weekend. I'll probably finish it tonight or tomorrow.