6.21.2005

1991

I know that Cubs, White Sox and (until last season, at least) BoSox fans have their long standing tales of woe and misery, but to grow up as a Braves fan in the 70s and 80s was pretty crappy. Something like what kids born in Kansas City around 1986 must feel like now. Yeah we had Aaron until '74 and Murphy through the 80s but from 1971 to 1990 we finished 5th or 6th (that's last and 2nd to last) 13 times. We did manage to win the division in '82 only to get swept in the LCS by the Cards. Stupid Cards.

So when the Braves managed to win the division in 91 by one measly game over the Dodgers and then follow up with a amazingly tough pennant win by sweeping the deciding two games at the Pirate's Three Rivers Stadium - wow. I still remember the feeling of getting to watch the World Series and for the first time in my life having a team to root for - having MY team to root for. What followed was the best World Series ever. I know, people can argue that the 2001 NY-AZ series was better, but no. First off, both teams in the '91 series had been in last place the previous year. Five of the seven games were decided by 1 run. Two went to extra innings. Four were decided in the last at-bat. And the 7th game - man, it broke my heart. But the one thing I'll always remember from that game - the whole series really - is Jack Morris. And that's why I'm posting this tonight (long way around to that, eh?)

John Smoltz started game 7 in that series against Morris, his long-time hero. Morris pitched for Detroit, Smoltz's hometown, from '77 to '90. Smoltz pitched a great game, going 7 scoreless innings, but Morris pitched 10 (nearly unheard of in today's game) and got the win. He retired after the '94 season with 254 wins, 186 losses, a 3.90 career ERA and 2,478 strike outs.

So why am I writing all of this tonight? John Smoltz is still pitching for the Braves. He pitched tonight - a complete game shutout just like his childhood hero. It wasn't for a World Series victory, but it was an important game in the division standings. Smoltz struck out six batters tonight. That makes his career total 2,480. Two more than Morris.

2 comments:

david golbitz said...

I remember watching those Braves/Pirates games with my father. I was...lemme think here...thirteen, I believe. Maybe nearly fourteen. And I think I learned some new curse words during those games. Or maybe my father did (he's from Pittsburgh).

Ignatius M. Dedd said...

I am a Yankee fan...BUT...I will admit it: the '91 series was the best EVAH. At least in my lifetime.