6.13.2005

My (least) Favorite DINO

Admittedly, I'm not a Democrat. I'm not a Libertarian, either, though I fall somewhere between the two. For the most part, I'm a common sense, Golden Rule type of person. Still, I have to speak from a partisian Demo POV on this. Sunday's Birmingham News reports that former Georgia Governor & U.S. Senator Zell Miller (D-GA*coughbullshitcough*) is schedule to speak this Friday evening at a GOP fundraiser. That's right - Miller, a lifelong Democrat (and still espousing that affiliation) is coming over to Alabama to help the Republicans win state Legislature seats in next year's race. Tickets are available in a range of tithes - $250 to $5K - to be "used primarily to fun Republican bids to win open legislative seats or targeted seats now held by Democrats". The event is hosted by the Alabama Republican Majority Committee.

I'm not against fundraising, nor do I care that Mr. Miller wants to speak out for the Republican party. However, in the words of President Jimmy Carter:

Great Georgia Democrats who served in the past, including Walter George, Richard Russell, Herman Talmadge, and Sam Nunn disagreed strongly with the policies of Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, John Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, and me, but they remained loyal to the party in which they gained their public office. Other Democrats, because of philosophical differences or the race issue, like Bo Callaway and Strom Thurmond, at least had the decency to become Republicans.

...

Zell, I have known you for forty-two years and have, in the past, respected you as a trustworthy political leader and a personal friend. But now, there are many of us loyal Democrats who feel uncomfortable in seeing that you have chosen the rich over the poor, unilateral preemptive war over a strong nation united with others for peace, lies and obfuscation over the truth, and the political technique of personal character assassination as a way to win elections or to garner a few moments of applause. These are not the characteristics of great Democrats whose legacy you and I have inherited.


More at the ADP Blog.

No comments: