1.13.2005

Golden Globes: Actor in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy)

Woohoo! Two GG posts tonight! It's late, I'm tired, I've had a hella week, so let's just jump right to it, shall we? Here's the nominees:

Beyond the Sea - Kevin Spacey
De-Lovely - Kevin Kline
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Jim Carrey
Ray - Jamie Foxx
Sideways - Paul Giamatti

Kline, you're outta there. Like his co-star Ashley Judd, just being nominated is an honor. And that's as far as he's getting.

Keyser Soze's next to get crossed off the list. Spacey's labor of love is getting mediocre reviews on the whole (41% at RottenTomatoes). Kev should be happy that he was able to make his movie and that's that.

After winning his second Globe in a row for Man on the Moon, Jim Carrey declared himself "the Tom Hanks of the Golden Globes!" Yep, Hanks won two Oscars in a row a couple years before. Guess what, Hanks hasn't won another Oscar since. And Fire Marshall Bill won't win won this year either (though he was excellent in this flick).

So it's Jamie's Ray or Paul's Miles. Damn.

If you've been paying attention, you know that I'm partial to Sideways. Three scenes stand out in my mind (skip down below the bullet points if you've not seen the movie, please!):

  • Obviously the scene between him and Virginia Madsen's Maya on the porch. Miles knows he's talking about himself by talking about the wine, Maya knows it, and we know it. It's sweet and charming and one of those scenes that just makes you catch your breath.

  • His facial expressions while watching the fat couple have sex and trying to figure out how to get the wallet. You can just see the whole thing play out in his eyes.

  • Drinking the '61 Cheval Blanc in the burger joint. He's at his nadir and he knows it. He's so alone that he does the unthinkable just to try to make one stupid day - one little part of his life - special. The more I think about this scene, the more I love this movie.

    OK, we've not yet seen Ray, so I can't wax poetic on it. Suffice it to say that Jamie's got the momentum: the press buzz, the bevy of nominations, Ray Charles just died for God's sake. Were I an oddsmaker, I'd put him at 5-2 easy. He's obviously the lock.

    That's why I'm going with Paul Giamatti. Mrs. P and I have drunk three bottles of wine since seeing Sideways last week. This movie is

    just

    that

    damn

    good.



  • 4 comments:

    david golbitz said...

    In keeping with the Sideways theme, I thought you'd be interested in hearing, if you haven't already, that Paul Giamatti is going to be hosting Saturday Night Live next weekend, the 22nd.

    I can't remember the last time someone who so few people know, or would recognize, hosted SNL.

    I haven't watched much SNL over the past few years. My favorite cast was probably the early to mid 90s. I don't know if I'd recognize half the cast anymore, but I think I'm gonna tune in next week.

    Melissa McEwan said...

    1031 - Thanks for sharing. That's awesome.

    My Oscar picks for Best Actor:

    Don Cheadle for Hotel Rwanda
    Johnny Depp for Finding Neverland
    Liam Neeson for Kinsey
    Leo DiCaprio for The Aviator
    Paul Giamatti for Sideways

    And this being a Sideways kinda year, my vote is for P.G.

    BTW, I really want Alexander Payne & Sideways to clean up at every awards show this year, but only if he will continue to make great films. If he's going to start sucking once he gets his hands on some dosh, then I hope it all goes to The Aviator, b/c Scorsese was dead in the water by 1980. :-)

    david golbitz said...

    I don't think Payne will sell-out. He's got his good, old fashioned Nebraska roots. I should know, I'm from Omaha.

    He's a good guy, and I think he'll continue to make good, original flicks even if he takes home a couple Oscars or Golden Globes.

    Then again, Brando was from Nebraska, too, and he made The Island of Dr. Moreau, amongst many other bombs.

    Melissa McEwan said...

    1031 - Clearly you're trying to make me vomit by bringing up Dr. Moreau, a film which only recently extricated itself from my conscious mind. Thanks, loads. :-)

    Not nearly as disturbing, however, as Don Juan DeMarco. A horny old Brando - shiver. It still keeps me up nights.

    Speaking of Brando, did you ever see the SNL with John Travolta where he played Brando being interviewed by Larry King? That is one of my favorite skits ever. "What are in these cookies, Marlon?" "Well, let's just say they'll put a cookie-eating grin on your face." LOL!

    I hope you're right about Payne....