1.16.2005

Golden Globes: Aftermath

Apologies for not concluding my series of Globes picks, though the way they turned out I'm glad I did spend a whole lotta time on them. Mrs P beat me, but neither of us did well this year. We aim to get around 15 or 16 correct picks (out of the 24 or so) - about two thirds. This year the wife got 11 right while I got a lousy 9. Ick.

So here's what I took away from the festivities.


  • Zach Braff plays himself in Scrubs and Garden State. He brought his mom to the show. Did you catch him trying to sneak a smootch from Teri Hatcher after she won? He radiates dweeb sweetness.

  • Speaking of Teri Hatcher - very surprised she beat out Marcia Cross. Marcia steals the show every week.

  • As they were playing "Old Habits Die Hard" (Best Song), I looked at Mrs P and said "Man, that song really sucks." Of course it won. The song still sucks.

  • Ian McSchane winning for Deadwood was cool. I watched the pilot episode and wasn't impressed though I liked his character and Brad Dourif's Doc Cochran.

  • It seems like every Original Score award goes to Howard Shore or John Williams.

  • I picked Clint for Best Director (woo, I got one right!), though I would have liked to have seen Alexander Payne win.

  • Charlie Kaufman looked nervous. I get the feeling he's always like that.

  • Clive Owen! I called that one. I'm proud of myself.

  • Natalie Portman? Wow. Mrs P'c comment: "I bet Zach Braff is glad he met her when her did"

  • Paul Giamatti didn't win. Sigh. But Jamie Foxx's acceptance speech was the best of the night (including Robin William's).

  • Leo for Best Actor, eh? It'll be interesting how the Academy responds.

  • Hilary Swank looks like a good bet for the Oscar.

  • Sideways. Best Picture. WoohoO!

  • And finally, NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE SHAT(ner)! I told the wife he'd win - she just laughed and said oh you're so funny.


The final tally:

Me:
Best Motion Picture - Comedy
Best Actress - Drama
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Supporting Actor - Motion Picture
Best Director - Motion Picture
Best Screenplay
Best Actor - Miniseries/TV Motion Picture
Best Supporting Actor - Miniseries/TV Motion Picture
Best Supporting Actress - Miniseries/TV Motion Picture

Mrs. P:

Best Motion Picture - Drama
Best Motion Picture - Comedy
Best Actress - Drama
Best Actor - Comedy
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Screenplay
Best Original Score
Best Actor - TV Comedy
Best Miniseries/TV Motion Picture
Best Actor - Miniseries/TV Motion Picture
Best Actress - Miniseries/TV Motion Picture

1 comment:

david golbitz said...

You know what sucks about living on the left coast? Tape delay. I was able to look up all the Globe winners before the show even aired out here. Kinda took some of the fun out of the show.

Great that Sideways won, and didn't Payne and Taylor win for best adapted screenplay, too?

I just realized...the Oscars will probably be delayed, too. Man...I might as well just drive into L.A. that night and hang out at the Kodak Theatre, or wherever it's held.

And yeah, from everything I've read about Charlie Kaufman, he's a bit...odd. He'd have to be to have written Adaptation. I mean, all his flicks are a bit out there, right, but that one, to me, takes the cake. Writing a non-fiction fiction movie in which he not only put himself, but he invented a twin brother (who shares a co-writing credit, for cryin' out loud), and he made the woman who wrote the piece the movie was based on into a drug-addict murderer.

The man is either insane or a genius. Or both.

Sorry about that little tangent there. I'm off to bed.