1.13.2005

Golden Globes: Actress in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy)

OK - here's the next installment of my Globes picks. I know you've all been waiting up losing sleep over it.

Tonight's installment is Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy (AKA non-Drama). Really odd assortment in this one. The nominees are Annette Bening for Being Julia, Renée Zellweger in Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, Ashley Judd in De-Lovely, Kate Winslet for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Phantom of the Opera's Emmy Rossum.

OK, first off we'll kick out Renée on principle. Getting nominated for a reprise role? How strange. Neither Mrs. P nor I can figure this one out.

Ms. Judd is the next to get stricken from the list. Hey, I love her - this picture alone is enough for me and I'm a Tennesseee fan. De-Lovely is on our Netflix list and I'm looking forward to seeing it, but it got mediocre reviews. The HFPA's nomination is Ashley's reward this year.

The only picture that's actually a musical: Phantom. Mrs P. and I lucked into 2nd row seats when the touring company came through and thouroughly enjoyed ourselves. I even ducked when the chandelier came down. Great stuff. Still, the only other awards Ms. Rossem is up for are the Golden Satellite (who apparently loved the movie) and the National Board of Review's Breakthough Actress. I'm looking forward to seeing this film and looking forward to seeing Emmy sitting in the audience playing the gracious loser.

And so, down to two (you seeing a trend yet?). It's young vs. (Hollywood) old. Period piece vs. Charlie Kaufman. Clementine vs. Julia.

I've not seen Being Julia yet, but it looks like a lot of fun. Considering how short Annette's resume is (how short? Kate Winslet's been in more films!), she's done some great work. She would have scored a Globe and/or Oscar if not for Hilary Swank's TV gig.

That said, this is Kate's year. She's been nominated twice for BAFTAs, thrice each for Oscars and SAGs (and won a SAG) and four times for a Golden Globe. She's reaching critical mass (though she's only a 3.7 on the Susan Lucci scale of futility). She's my call.

1 comment:

Melissa McEwan said...

Since I'm responding with Oscar picks, I can't delineate between Musical/Comedy and Drama, but here goes my predictions for Oscar:

Renee Zellweger for Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason
Uma Thurman for Kill Bill Vol. 2
Natalie Portman for Garden State
Sophie Okanedo for Hotel Rwanda
Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby

I think you're right about Kate - she was awesome in Finding Neverland, too, and you know what two good flicks in one year means...momentum!